Discovering the Hidden History of St Aubin

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

History Section :

For our July meeting, Marie-Louise Backhurst provided a guided walk around St. Aubin’s.

“Nonsense!” “Rubbish!”

The walk started at La Haule slip where Marie-Louise explained that all our existing knowledge of St Aubin’s would be challenged.

Starting with the basics, Marie-Louise explained that we are not actually sure why St Aubin’s bears that name, which was first attested to in 1523. Most of the houses were built after 1663, but there are some notable exceptions, including what is now called the Old Court House.

It may be the case that a chapel dedicated to St. Aubin once existed in the vicinity, perhaps the chapel at La Haule Manor, or even on the tidal islet where the fort now stands.

St Aubin was the Bishop of Angers and was known for praying to for protection against pirates; during the Middle Ages tidal islands and shorelines were popular places for chapels and churches owing to their liminal quality. Given that St Aubin was renowned for sheltering Jersey’s privateer fleet, the name is somewhat ironic. The cod fishery fleet overwintered here as well.

On the matter of naming conventions, Marie-Louise suggested that we might be better off calling St Aubin’s bay, the Bay of St. Helier, as the whole of the bay was used by shipping depending on the tide and weather.

La Haule Manor

We then proceeded up the slip towards La Haule manor which traces its origins back to at least the 1430s. It was, unusually, called this because of a family connection with the fief of La Haule which (dare we admit it) is in Guernsey.

One of the more tragic and perhaps concerning events (the latter for the hotel gardener at least), is that during the 1626 plague many of the occupants including Elie Dumaresq, the seigneur, and his doctor succumbing to illness. Rather than being interned in the church their bodies were instead laid in the grounds.

The party explored parts of the grounds, and there was much distraction for the architectural historian, particularly in the car park area, where there is still the gatehouse and possibly evidence of a chapel.

The High Street

Once we had rounded up our errant students of architecture we proceeded up Mont de la Rocque, with the road running parallel to the old corderie (ropewalk).

We then made our way along Rue de la Crocquet, named for a large outcrop which was quarried away in about 1816 to make a new road and to build the north arm of the harbour.

Along the way Marie-Louise called our attention to some historic buildings, this included the site of Maison Martel (of cognac fame), which became known as La Tour and it played host to St. Aubin’s grammar school.

We also saw some land which had belonged to Marie Bartlett (née Mauger), a successful wine and spirits merchant who willed the land and money towards the founding of a hospital (poor relief) in St Aubin’s in 1741. In true Jersey fashion, the hospital (which is our current hospital) was not established until over 24 years later and not used until 1793 after being requisitioned by the British Army and at a different location in St. Helier. Luckily Thomas Denton, a wealthy childless merchant, who also lived in St Aubin founded a poor house in the parish firstly at the house now called Lugano and then on the opposite side of the road in the purpose built building which also contained a lock-up.

Other notable houses included that of Charles Robin, the famous Jersey cod trade magnate and William Snow, a Privateer.

To add to the growing list of famous names we also walked past the Swan Hotel, now known as The Trafalgar. It was here where Karl Marx stayed during his visit to Jersey.

Then we moved across the road towards Noya Shapla, the site of the 1826 market (only half of which remains) which replaced that of 1777. The current restaurant has been known to include a Currie (sic!) loving prime minister amongst its patrons.

The Bulwarks

As our final destination approach there was also a brief mention of Methodism, which members may recall was subject of a walk last year. Behind the current chapel is the original chapel dating back as early as 1816 making it quite significant.

Our visit terminated at the Ob Mizi restaurant where members tucked into some good hearty Slovenian fare.

The Section would like to thank Marie-Louise for all her hard work on researching and organising the walk, and also wishes her best of luck with her ongoing research and potential publication. The second part of the walk may take place next summer!

Oliver Thébault

Secretary, History Section

history@societe.je

More News

Discovering the Hidden History of St Aubin

History Section : For our July meeting, Marie-Louise Backhurst provided a guided walk around St. Aubin’s. “Nonsense!” “Rubbish!” The walk...

Read More

Recycling Centre Tour

Environment Section – 21st July 2026 Piers Tharme and Natasha Lee welcomed us to the centre and the tour began...

Read More

Memberships